Top 23 Best Free Kanban Software: Reviews & Updated 2022
- Reanen Ezekiel
- on Sep 10, 2022
You’ve come to the right place to locate the best free kanban software.
If you are a freelancer, an employee, or have personal chores, you most likely use to-do list software.
It is, in fact, the norm!
Task management software, which is also a genuine tool for enhancing productivity, is the best software for managing a project and seeing it through to completion.
One of the most prominent features of management software is the kanban view.
Trello pioneered the software revolution a few years ago, and several kanban apps have since emerged.
We’ll look over the many kanban applications and solutions that might help you with your work.
What is Kanban Software?
A kanban application, also known as a kanban tool, makes it easier to apply the kanban approach for job management.
The kanban approach, which originated in Japan (the name kanban means “label for the narrative”), is simple in concept: Consider a table with three columns labeled “To do,” “In the process of doing,” and “Done,” each with a list of duties.
Rearranging the column headings to reflect the present situation is as simple as that.
It’s that simple, but it’s also quite useful for improving productivity and providing a clear image of all that has to be done to complete a project.
Let’s have a look at the best kanban tools without paying anything.
How to choose your free kanban tool?
We will aid you in locating the best alternative for you now that you are aware of the best free kanban software on the market.
To do so, you’ll need to answer a few easy questions:
- Is the use I intend to make of it personal or professional?
- How many people will be able to use the Kanban software?
- Is a kanban platform in French required?
- Which integrations are essential for my requirements?
- What is my financial situation?
You will have a better understanding of your requirements once you have completed all of these questions.
Examine the top kanban tools list, assessing the price pages and detailed features of each tool, and create a shortlist of three platforms.
Before committing to one of the three platforms, we highly advise you to test them all.
Indeed, the majority of kanban tools provide a completely free plan, which is ideal for testing them out!
7 best free kanban software
Trello, a comprehensive kanban application, is the oldest of these possibilities.
Trello, in fact, democratized kanban software in the 2010s in order to provide a simple and effective task management solution.
Trello’s platform has now grown to incorporate features such as:
- There are several relationships.
- The calendar mode
- Gantt graph
- Task management by a collaborative group
Trello’s free version is ideal for managing personal and even professional tasks!
The most affordable premium plan begins at $5 per user per month.
Monday.com is an efficient project management system based on kanban.
Monday.com is more than just a Kanban board for task management; it’s a multifaceted, powerful tool.
Project management, customer relationship management, marketing, and other processes
Monday.com will help you get more done regardless of how you organize your tasks, whether you work alone or in a distributed team.
Monday.com’s numerous collaborative features make it an excellent choice for remote teams.
As always, Monday.com’s free plan is ideal for solo projects or small groups (two people max). Each additional user above two will be charged 10€ per month.
Wrike is the ideal project management tool for an agile team.
If you’re just looking for something to do on the side, skip this article.
Wrike’s primary goal is to improve efficiency in distributed teams.
As a result, it’s no surprise that Wrike includes a simple kanban board.
Wrike provides a gantt view, document management, and other features in addition to the default “template.”
The first month is free, and subsequent monthly payments average $10 per user.
Asana, a popular project management tool, includes a comprehensive function for creating kanban boards that can be used in both business and personal settings.
Yes, you can use a wide range of components, including:
- It should be labeled.
- Pass the card to a teammate.
- Set a deadline.
- Continue reading for more information.
- Checklists can help you prepare for anything.
Kanban boards, on the other hand, include a plethora of tools that can be used to improve productivity.
The free version of Asana is ideal for solo projects, and the first paid tier is only 10.99€/month/user.
Clickup, a kanban tool with free and paid versions, can help you organize your work.
This American program is a “digital workplace,” or a program capable of replacing all others.
The following are the main features of Clickup:
- Records management Kanban boards
- Summary of Project Development Employee and Time Management The gantt chart
- An electronic whiteboard
In a nutshell, it’s a versatile system with a sophisticated user interface.
The personal plan at Clickup is always free, and the business plan starts at $5 per month per user.
Notion is an all-in-one program that gives you complete control over your data and systems without requiring you to know how to write code.
Let’s go over the various applications for Notion.
Notion combines features from various types of software into a single location, making it useful in a variety of contexts.
It can be used to make, among other things:
- information warehouses on the internet
- Excel spreadsheets with Kanban tables built in (like Excel)
- A portable storage device
- This should all be done collaboratively.
If you’re looking for a multipurpose program, you might want to look into Notion, which has been around for a while.
Notion allows you to store up to 50 documents for free before you need to upgrade to a paid plan, which costs €8 per month per user.
Kanbanize is a kanban board application, as you might expect from the name.
Unlike most other platforms (with the exception of Trello), the platform was initially designed around this feature.
Kanbanize is the only option that is available in French.
Once again, this kanban board approach is best left to the professionals. Also, for groups of more than 15 people.
Kanbanize’s user interface isn’t as polished as that of Monday.com or Clickup, but if all you need are kanban boards, it might be enough.
Kanbanize does not offer a free option, and the first paid tier costs $149 per month for 15 users.
Miro is a kanban tool that can be used from anywhere for online visual collaboration.
Miro distinguishes itself from the other kanban software presented in this tool comparison by incorporating video conferencing and a collaborative whiteboard solution.
As a result, if you work in a group or from a distance, this software will be much more useful.
Miro’s remote work innovation during the COVID-19 pandemic was a huge success.
Miro claims to have 35 million users all over the world.
Each additional user will be charged $8 per month once you have exceeded three tables (with an unlimited number of participants).
MyCollab, a suite of collaboration modules designed for small and medium-sized businesses, is comprised of three components: project management, customer relationship management (CRM), and document creation and editing software.
The open source “community edition” is what we’re interested in, but there’s also a commercial “ultimate” edition that’s faster and can be run on-premises or in the cloud.
Despite its lack of cloud support and slower performance due to the lack of a query cache, the community edition includes essential project management tools such as tasks, issue management, an activity stream, a roadmap view, and a Kanban board for agile teams.
It is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux, despite the lack of a dedicated mobile app.
The source code for the most recent version of MyCollab is available on GitHub.
It is licensed under the AGPLv3 and cannot be used unless you have a Java runtime and a MySQL stack installed. It is available for download for Linux, Unix, Windows, and MacOS.
Because of its user-friendliness and extensive set of tools for managing projects and collaborating in groups, OpenProject stands out as a highly effective open source project management tool.
It includes modules for project management, time tracking, cost reporting, budgeting, bug tracking, agile, and Scrum.
The agile capabilities of OpenProject are interoperable with the rest of the system, allowing users to easily create stories, set sprint priorities, and track progress.
For hosting and support fees, an enterprise edition of OpenProject is available, which includes enhancements such as custom branding, simple Single Sign-On (SSO), additional metadata, and several user experience (UX) conveniences.
The OpenProject source code is available on GitHub and is licensed under the GPLv3 license. OpenProject.org/development contains useful documentation for developers, and Birthe Lindenthal’s article “Getting started with OpenProject” will teach you how to install and configure the software.
Phabricator by Phacility is a web app suite with far more features and functionality than was initially revealed.
The business model of Phacility is unique in that it deliberately undersells the product, but don’t be fooled.
Projects is for Kanban boards, Diffusion is for hosting Git, Phame is for blogging, Phriction is a wiki, Harbormaster is for continuous integration and continuous delivery, Conpherence is for team chat, and so on.
Because everything is linked, there is no need to “rewire” anything in order for your Kanban board to influence your bug tracker.
All information is accessible in one place, allowing for comprehensive progress monitoring at any level.
The effectiveness of Phabricator has been demonstrated by teams from all over the world working on active projects, including some major KDE applications such as Kdenlive and Krita.
In response to user feedback, it is constantly being worked on and improved.
Phabricator can be hosted by Phacility for a fee, or it can be run on your own server with support paid for (with a Support Pact included).
It is currently available for download from the project’s Github mirror and is distributed under the Apache 2.0 license.
Perception is a one-of-a-kind tool that doesn’t require any coding and lets you arrange your assets however you want.
Let’s go over the chances of Perception as a separate factor.
Simply put, Perception is a program that combines elements of numerous programs, including a text editor, a spreadsheet, a kanban board, a resource manager (power), and many others.
This allows you to, among other things, make:
- one who keeps an online database
- Spreadsheets with goals (like Excel) Kanban tables (like Excel)
- Having the ability to store your data and do so cooperatively is a huge benefit.
Perception has been popular for some time, and it’s an intriguing option if you’re looking for a versatile tool.
You can get perception for free after filling out the first 50 forms; after that, the paid plan costs 8€ per month per consumer.
Gitlab is a website that hosts open source projects in Git repositories on the Internet.
However, within the confines of businesses and organizations, Gitlab may be better known as an open source, locally installed web application for software development and project management.
You can pay for hosting plans or host it yourself, and if you use the community edition, you will only be using open source components.
Scrum, Kanban, Sprint Planning, Epics, Bug Tracking, Documentation, Dashboards, Charts, Scheduling, Automation, CI/CD, and Other Tools Are All Supported in Gitlab’s Community Edition, which is available under the MIT license.
There are numerous additional advantages, one of which is general developer familiarity with the platform.
It is reasonable to assume that developers who are familiar with Git are also familiar with the process of using Git through a web interface, as many of them have learned either Microsoft’s Github or pure Git (the open source backend to Github, Gitlab, and many others).
Gitlab’s interface is intuitive, consistent, and robust for the project managers in charge. A project manager is never required to leave Gitlab.
The Gitlab UI allows you to do everything from assigning tasks and planning sprints to accepting merge requests and deleting branches.
As Gitlab evolves, there’s every reason to believe that more project management features will be added.
The Gitlab developers welcome feature requests and respond quickly to feedback. Gitlab.com/install is where you can grab the Community Edition.
Odoo is a business application suite that includes not only project management but also accounting, human resources, website and e-commerce, inventory, manufacturing, and customer relationship management (CRM).
When compared to the commercially available, paid-for enterprise suite, the free and open-source community edition is severely lacking in functionality.
Odoo 11.0–designed for agile teams—includes a progress bar and animation for monitoring project status in the Kanban-style task-tracking view.
Project management software includes Gantt charts, to-do lists, problem logs, bar charts, and other tools.
Odoo users have a large and helpful community, and the software includes documentation and tutorials.
It requires Python and PostgreSQL and is licensed under the GPLv3. It is available for Linux, Windows, and Red Hat Package Manager downloads, as a Docker image, and as source on GitHub.
Taiga is an open-source project management platform that focuses on Scrum and Agile development methodologies.
A Kanban board, tasks, sprints, issues, a backlog, and epics are among its features. Tickets, multiple projects, wikis, and API integrations are also supported.
It is simple to migrate from other popular project management software to this one, and it includes import tools as well as a free mobile app for Android, iOS, and Windows devices.
Taiga is free to use for public projects, and there are no restrictions on the number of projects or users.
There are numerous paid plans available for private projects, but they all provide access to the same set of features.
Taiga is free and open source software distributed under the GNU Affero GPLv3 license that can only be run on systems that also include Nginx, Python, and PostgreSQL. GitHub has the most recent version.
Tuleap is an ALM platform that focuses on agile teams, but it can manage projects of any size, scope, methodology, or delivery mode.
It supports Scrum, Kanban, sprints, tasks, reports, continuous integration, backlogs, and more.
Other features include issue tracking, document tracking, collaboration tools, and integration with Git, Jenkins, and SVN, making it a viable option for open source software development projects.
Tuleap is available on Github and is licensed under the GNU Public License version 2.
ZenTao is an industry-standard project management application based on the Scrum framework and the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI).
Its various features support the entire SDLC.
By providing a clear definition of the terms program, project, product, and execution, this document enables the production, development, and QA teams to collaborate while keeping their respective functions distinct.
ZenTao offers three types of project management modules: Scrum, Waterfall, and Kanban. It has a powerful and adaptable workflow that allows teams to create their own processes.
It has every testing and bug tracking tool you could want from development to release.
ZenTao’s compatibility with SVN, SonarQube, GitLab, and Jenkins allows for better code management.
ZenTao is covered by two licenses: the ZPL and the AGPL. It is compatible with Linux, Windows, and macOS. On GitHub, you can find a docker image as well as the code for it.
You have the option of running it in the cloud or downloading the Open Source Edition (Community Edition) from zentao.pm/download.
Best Project Management Tool – nTask
At the agency level, you most likely have hundreds of tasks to manage.
It is your responsibility to ensure that all assigned tasks are completed on time and that all desired outcomes are met. This necessitates the use of an efficient project management tool.
This is where nTask comes in.
If you need help with any aspect of your project, nTask is a one-stop shop. It offers a wide range of options at extremely low monthly costs.
Furthermore, nTask has a simple interface that makes it simple to learn and use.
Its seven management modules make it simple to stay on top of everything.
You can track the progress of your project and receive notifications, updates, and other information. That’ll give you constant, up-to-date information.
Some of the most appealing features of nTask are as follows:
- Assists in the development of a work flow
- It is possible to distribute available assets across multiple projects.
- Schedule when you’ll start and finish each project.
- Create your own labels to indicate the progress of a task.
- Monitor your progress with tools such as Gantt charts and Kanban boards.
- Monitoring time spent on a project is useful for keeping track of its progress.
- The nTask mobile app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- It includes a wide range of plug-ins for use with other programs.
- Dual-factor authentication provides the most security.
- The basic plan is always free.
- Plan Upgrade: $3 per month per user Profit Plan: $8 per month per user Enterprise Pricing Options
Best SEO Tool – SEMrush
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the newest buzzword in business.
Because of increased competition, new areas for marketing and advertising, such as online search, have emerged, necessitating the development of search engine optimization (SEO) tools for agencies.
SEO is critical for increasing a company’s online visibility and engagement.
In fact, 61 percent of marketers say their top inbound marketing priorities are increasing their online visibility and optimizing their SEO efforts.
SEMrush should be your go-to tool if you run an online marketing agency. SEMrush is one of the best SEO tools.
The tool can help you engage more customers by increasing organic traffic and attracting backlinks.
Industry experts like SEMrush because it provides data on competitive keywords, backlink opportunities, and content strategies.
- Determine the keywords with the highest click-through rates.
- SEO Off-Page
- Analyzing your competitors’ strategies increases your chances of success.
- Contributes to the development of content marketing strategies with a higher potential for return on investment.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) can help you rank higher in local search results.
- Analytics can help you identify areas for improvement in your content marketing efforts.
- Increase the number of people who see your content by optimizing it.
- The Pro version costs $119.95 per month, while the Expert version costs $229.95 per month.
- Monthly fee for businesses: $449.95
Best Tool for Messaging – Slack
Open lines of communication and teamwork are required for success, and this is true for agencies as well.
Because an agency is made up of a variety of teams and individuals, good lines of communication and collaborative effort among workers are critical to getting the job done efficiently and smoothly.
A successful agency requires dependable means of team communication, regardless of where its members are at any given time.
Slack is one such tool that is widely used in the business world due to the convenience it provides for team communication.
Every day, more than 12 million people use the app, and that number is expected to grow.
Slack facilitates effective communication by offering a variety of instantaneous two-way communication methods, such as video and audio calling, chatting, direct messages, group chats, and much more.
- Allows for the communication of specialized groups on a variety of projects or topics.
- A search function allows you to easily retrieve all of your previous activity.
- You can set up a shared channel to ensure that all of your vendors, partners, and clients are on the same page.
- Slack Connect allows you to communicate with groups from various businesses.
- Discuss one-on-one or in small groups.
- Audio/video and face-to-face conferencing
- It includes a wide range of optional add-ons from other companies.
- Transfer and share media files, presentations, and other data from anywhere on your computer with ease.
- With a high level of protection, it ensures the safety of your information.
- It costs nothing per month.
- The monthly fee is a standard $6.67 plus $12.5 per month.
- Please contact Team Slack directly for pricing on Enterprise Grid.
Best Analytical Tool – Google Analytics
Google Analytics is one of the most powerful data analysis tools available to web agencies.
Google Analytics reports can assist you in identifying emerging market patterns and uncovering opportunities to increase user participation.
As a result, you will be able to increase productivity and broaden the scope of your company.
The instrument can be used to calculate:
- The Socio-Demographics of Website Visitors
- Social Media’s Influence on Click-Through Rates
- Bouncing frequency
- Percentage of new sessions
- The Effects of Successful Attempts
- The average length of a session, and so on.
- Data changes can be tracked over time using visualization and monitoring tools, and the service also offers powerful data filtering options.
- Its analytics can be used to forecast future trends.
- Provides integration with a variety of other tools.
- The information can be distributed via e-mail.
- Audience reports can provide information about the demographics and geographic distribution of your target audience.
- You can create reports in any format you want by using custom reports.
For small and medium-sized businesses, the basic version of Google Analytics is free, whereas the more robust Google Analytics Premium costs around $12,500 per month.
Best Creative Tools – Canva
A generalist agency may need to use specialized technologies available only to web design firms in order to create engaging web pages, presentations, and so on.
Using Canva’s many design tools, you can create something unique and appealing from scratch. You have a complete set of tools at your disposal to create any type of business design you can think of.
- Allows for direct PDF import and editing.
- Canva Live Text animations add vibrancy and entertainment to your text and can be used in presentations and live sessions.
- You can curve your text to make it more visually appealing.
- You’ll be able to create graphics for both business and personal use.
- It has a drag-and-drop interface that makes the design process simple.
- There are thousands of ready-to-use templates available.
- Pro – $119.99 per year for up to 5 people
- Organizations: Canva has special pricing for businesses.
Best Time Management Tool – Time Doctor
Time management is not a secret in the business world. Completing assignments on time is a sure sign of success.
You will be able to achieve your goals if all of your work is completed on time. A time management application may be useful if you want to track your time usage.
Time Doctor is one of the best time management applications available. It has remained at the top of the best time management tools list due to its sophisticated monitoring options and simple UI.
Time Doctor is a project management and time tracking tool that also tracks which programs and websites team members used.
- Keeps track of employee activity by automatically taking screenshots of their desktop.
- Screenshots are taken at predetermined intervals or at user-defined times.
- If you grant the customer access, they will be able to view screenshots and time logs.
- One of the many advantages of using Time Doctor is the ability to gain insight into an employee’s productivity. These reports contain information such as hours worked, websites visited, applications used, tasks completed, client breakdowns, and more.
- You can also see how much time an employee spent on various apps and websites.
- The Time Doctor app works with a wide range of operating systems.
- Connects to a wide range of productivity apps for streamlined file management.
- Notifies employees when they have been inactive for an extended period of time.
- It is acceptable to avoid using the computer and to take breaks.
- The “basic” plan costs $6 per month per user.
- Standard – $9 per month per user
- Premium: $17 per month each user
- Enterprise – For custom pricing, please contact the Time Doctor team.
Best Marketing Tool – HubSpot
HubSpot is the most effective marketing software available. HubSpot is one of the best all-in-one tools you can use if you’re trying to run an online marketing agency. The many options available to you are the icing on the cake.
Advertising, sales, and customer service can all benefit from the software. It provides a bird’s-eye view of your project via a simple dashboard.
The data generated by your team can be used to assess its efficiency. You can use the data to improve your weaknesses and improve your future results.
- Its marketing hub increases qualified traffic and sales from existing customers.
- Comprehensive inbound marketing campaigns can attract more visitors.
- Customer data synchronization and process automation are aided by software designed for business operations.
- Increased sales can increase profitability, which is the primary goal of sales software.
- You can provide more personalized support and a smoother transition into your business by using customer service software.
- To organize all of your content, use HubSpot’s CMS.
HubSpot provides both free and paid plans. Each module has its own set of costs that affect the overall plan. HubSpot’s website provides a thorough examination of the various pricing options available.
Kanban is an effective project management methodology for managing work and workflow in software development teams and other types of projects.
Kanban is a visual management system (VMS) which helps you track your team’s work with different colored sticky notes.
It is used as a simple project management method that is easy to use, manage and share with other team members.
It allows for effective prioritization of tasks by using the five-sigma concept. Kanban provides clear visibility of your team’s progress and enables continuous improvement.